Monday, March 30, 2009

On Rediscovering Old Threads

"Come over tomorrow. Its Family Dinner." said the text message on my phone.

So I did.

And there was an afternoon, evening and night of warmth, happiness, laughter, and family. The children were a tumble that roamed up and down the hall. The adults roved from room to room chatting, cooking, drinking, laughing, and loving on each other. The connections between all of us ebbing and flowing along this tangled web that has been woven over years.

There was a time that I had removed myself mostly from that web. The reasons are probably even more tangled than the web itself and not worth going over any longer. It was what it was.

Sitting in the living room, after the rounds of goodnight headbumps and sweet hugs from the children old enough to do so, three (or was it four?) of us with sticks and string in our hands, one on the laptop, one dozing off on the couch, one cuddled up under blankets, I had a moment where I stepped outside myself and viewed the situation from "afar". It was a moment of pure contentment and bliss and joy at being back with people who fill my heart so very full.

Family is about so much more than genetics. I am blessed to be allowed to be woven tighter into this one again.

"Begin to weave, and God will give you the threads"
-Anonymous

No comments: